Sunday, January 22, 2017

Day One 2017



Day 1    -    the diet in Dunedin
Penny and I at Naseby Jan 2017

As I ripped open the packet of chocolate drink after hours of looking at suspiciously, it dawned on me that today was the start of a new me, one where I could control one of the biggest bug-bears I have been shouldering for the past eight years - my weight.
When they weighted me the other day at the clinic, I knew before I had even stepped on the scales that I’d put on all I had lost before Christmas. Richie’s venison stew, lashings of free range ham and mums pavlova plus hours of sitting around telling tale tales to the rellies from Australia had piled back on the 5 kg’s I had lost by early December. No one else was to blame as I did it and therefore it was my problem.
So today I began my managed diet, and what a diet – not just cutting out sugars or carbs, rice or bread,  it’s the famous Optifast 12 week Very Low Calorie Diet. An intensive diet whereby I replace meals with a sachet drink, and the main meal of the day consists of low starch vegetables, or fruit or soup or whatever‘s left on the non-can-touch list.
Meat isn’t there but oddly diet coke is? Tomato paste is but not tomato sauce although Soy sauce with all its salt is there? I’m scratching my head over that one. Mind you when I went online to the Optifast site I was amazed to see that if you want to join their online program of weight management – a la Weight watcher's – is gonna cost AUD $100 – NOT.
Nestles must be making a packet on the side with that one, So I did some more research on doctor google and found a lovely blog site www.opticook.org in which the writer gives you a eBook of recipes and hints and tips so I guess i will be looking at that one for the immediate future
The idea is to lose a minimum of 10 % of your body weight in the first 12 weeks and then lose more in the following 12 months working on a less intensive version of the diet. Plenty of online comments about the diet- some good and some negative, but most say that while it is the most expensive diet plan out there it does work for those who make the effort and I need to as my diabetes is annoying me, my weight is annoying me and it’s impacting on my life in far too many ways.
It’s a daunting prospect as I know what has to be done but have been dodging the issue for years now, so today is the start…..
Weight: 130.8kg
Bloods 12.2 am, 6.8 pm


https://johncosgrove-travelshooter.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment